Hunts Point was settled in 1663 by Edward and Elizabeth Jessup and John Richardson. The land derives its name from Thomas Hunt, Jr., who inherited property from his mother-in-law Elizabeth Jessup.
Many of the streets are named after early European settlers and residents including William Fox, a descendant of George Fox, the founder of the Quakers; Charlotte Leggett, wife of William Fox; and H. D. Tiffany, a member of the famous jewelry family.
Right up to the period after World War I, Hunts Point offered a luxurious lifestyle and was a home and vacation spot for the City’s elite. Apartment buildings soon replaced mansions, and new and existing rail lines along with an abundance of available space for the developing commercial activity brought a vast industrial expansion to the peninsula.
The American Banknote Building was built in 1909 during this transitional period. By the late 1960s and early 1970s, the New York City Produce and Meat industries moved in and branded the region as a hub for industrial activity. By 1980, The City of New York designated Hunts Point as an In-Place Industrial Park. Today, the food industry continues to boom here and the Hunts Point Economic Development Corporation oversees the Industrial Park. It has funneled millions of dollars of public money to continue the development of the area with the Hunts Point Food Distribution Center. The famous Fulton Fish Market recently relocated from lower Manhattan to Hunts Point.
Hunts Point is located in the South Bronx on a peninsula at the confluence of the Bronx and East Rivers. Surrounded by water on three sides, the fourth side is bounded by the Bruckner Expressway and the CSX/Amtrak rail corridor. The Bruckner Expressway connects Hunts Point to Interstate-95, the Northeast, the Midwest and the ports of New York and New Jersey.
The Hunts Point peninsula has an area of approximately 690 acres, nearly half of which is occupied by the 329-acre Food Distribution Center. The remainder of the peninsula comprises an industrial neighborhood where a diverse mix of food, manufacturing and construction-related operations coexist. The northwestern portion of the peninsula contains a compact residential community, now home to roughly 12,000 residents.